How COVID-19 Impacts Survivors
During such a stressful, challenging time, we acknowledge that the services of A Woman's Place (AWP) and other domestic violence (DV) programs are more relevant than ever before for many people in our community. COVID-19, while it impacts us all, has a unique impact on folks who are living with abuse, as it can affect their ability to safely self-quarantine, seek medical care, or reach out for help.
Added risk factors and barriers that survivors face during the COVID-19 pandemic include:
- Being physically trapped with abusers during stay-at-home orders
- Economic impact of job losses
- Delayed court dates and prolonged court proceedings
- Abusers using COVID-19 exposure as a threat
- Limited options for safety planning and relocating
- Reduced access to resources, services, health care
- Loss of socialization, community involvement, etc.
- Isolation from loved ones, co-workers, teachers, and other sources of support who could normally "check in" on a regular basis
How You Can Support Survivors During COVID-19
Survivors are resilient, resourceful, and courageous individuals, and they are deserving of support from their friends, neighbors, and communities. Take a look at the safety planning tips below, and click on the image to learn more details about how you can reach out and check on survivors, offer support, and connect them with safety, resources, and next steps.
DV & COVID-19 in the News
- "Pandemic Has Worsened Situations for Many Domestic Violence Victims" - NBC10 Philadelphia, November 2020
- "A Pandemic Within a Pandemic: Intimate Partner Violence During COVID-19" - The New England Journal of Medicine, September 2020
- “A Woman’s Place – Steadfast in Mission, in the Old & New Normal” – Bucks County Women’s Journal, June 2020
- "A Snapshot of Domestic Violence During COVID-19" - National Domestic Violence Hotline, June 2020
- "Support for People Experiencing Abuse" - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, June 2020
- “Staying Safe During COVID-19: How COVID-19 Could Uniquely Impact Intimate Partner Violence Survivors” – National Domestic Violence Hotline, March 2020
- “Tips for Helping a Friend Experiencing Domestic Abuse During COVID-19” – National Network to End Domestic Violence, April 2020