First Response Criminal Advocate (P/T)
This posting is for a part-time position, approximately 21 hours per week
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide legal options counseling, safety planning, resources and support in order to respond to the physical and emotional safety needs of domestic violence victims.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to First Response Manager
- Provide safety planning and court accompaniment in criminal procedures with a focus in Spanish speaking clients.
- Inform service recipients of available legal options and services provided by A Woman’s Place.
- Provide legal advocacy assistance in the preparation of Criminal Court proceedings, filing of Protection from Abuse forms, Contempt Petitions, and other documents through confidential personal discussions, and clarification of incidents of abuse.
- Assist Spanish speaking domestic violence victims with immigration issues and identified legal resources.
- Collect and record First Response statistical information.
- Advise victims of their rights and assist victims of domestic violence in completing and submitting Victim Compensation forms.
- Liaison between police department and legal systems with victims of domestic violence.
- Compile daily records required for grant purposes and develop monthly statistics concerning all legal activities for the month.
- Provide follow-up support services in order to assist victims with stabilizing their lives going forward.
- Adhere to the confidentiality policy and other policies of A Woman’s Place.
- Contribute to the positive environment of the agency.
- Provide transportation when necessary.
- Bilingual: Spanish speaking
- Commitment to AWP’s Values, Vision, and Mission statements; self-motivation; self-discipline; and excellence.
- Adherence to the Personnel Policies of AWP.
- Successful completion of Domestic Violence Direct Service Training Course and continuing education requirements as outlined in AWP’s Personnel Policies.
- Ability to understand and work with diverse populations.
- Honesty and trustworthiness in all relationships.
- Emotionally resilient and able to withstand pressure on an on-going basis.
- Reliable transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in a related field and/or
- Two years’ work experience
To apply, e-mail First Response Manager Erika Flayer, EFlayer@awomansplace.org . Resume and cover letter are required. No phone calls please.